PDA

View Full Version : Waterspace Management

SeaQueen
02-06-07, 07:24 PM
In a mission I created, an AI controlled KILO tracked another AI controlled KILO and then collided with it. Ideally, I'd like to assign each KILO it's own operating area and have it stick to it's area. Does anyone have any thoughts on how prevent this problem in the future?

It also made me wonder, is it possible for the AI to commit fratricide?

LuftWolf
02-06-07, 09:46 PM
Umm... use a database where all the AI have appropriate sensors so they don't run into each other... :cool:

In term of fratricide, you'll have to set the AI vessels on different sides, or put a dummy near the platform you want fired on and then remove it after the firing vessel shoots, but that potentially has all kind of problems. Perhaps you can look at scripts and triggers to work something out.

Cheers,
David

SeaQueen
02-06-07, 09:59 PM
Umm... use a database where all the AI have appropriate sensors so they don't run into each other... :cool:

*sigh* Does anyone have any constructive thoughts?

And I want to prevent fratricide, not encourage it.. at least today.

LuftWolf
02-06-07, 10:02 PM
Well, all joking aside, it does make it easier to get AI platforms to do what you expect them to do when they can detect the loudest contacts at over 20nm and submarines over 10nm (or much much less for Kilos).

It used to be a common report for people to say how AI would run into this and that... well I haven't heard that much since we added sensors to the AI.

Cheers,
David

SeaQueen
02-06-07, 10:20 PM
Well, all joking aside, it does make it easier to get AI platforms to do what you expect them to do when they can detect the loudest contacts at over 20nm and submarines over 10nm (or much much less for Kilos).

The thing is, in the environment I was playing in, I wouldn't expect nearly that kind of detection range. Geez... in a few hundred feet of water, you're lucky to get 3 miles. I was actually pretty happy with the ranges at which they seemed to be detecting targets. I figured 5 nautical miles on a good day, probably more like 2 or 2.5 nautical miles. I expected the KILOs to have difficulty identifying targets. I did not expect them to drive into them.

I wonder if using the "collision avoidence" script would help. Ideally, though, I'd like figure out a way to give them a box and let them stay in that box.

LuftWolf
02-06-07, 10:39 PM
Based on what you are saying about the acoustic conditions, the stock AI sensors may not detect a kilo imp at all. :huh:

You may find running your missions in test with the dbgviewer active to report detections good way to find out what's going on.

Cheers,
David

FERdeBOER
02-07-07, 04:25 AM
So, if I have understood You, You want to prevent the kilos from leaving their area, don't you?

If it's the case, You can create a destination goal and a script for each kilo. The script is a "set course of...(kilo X)... to..... during.....seconds"
Making this, when one of the kilos reaches her destination goal, the script will tell her to turn arround for the time you selected.

If You mark the "can refire" box, the Kilo will turn arround anytime she reaches the destination goal.
You can make this also with an "Aproach goal", so when the kilos are XX distance close, they change course.

Hope this is what You're asking for. :hmm:

LuftWolf
02-07-07, 04:26 AM
I knew someone out there had a good answer!

Thanks! :)

Cheers,
David

Bill Nichols
02-07-07, 06:22 AM
I knew someone out there had a good answer!

Thanks! :)

Cheers,
David

Ferdeboer, you beat me to it! :D

SeaQueen
02-07-07, 08:25 AM
Based on what you are saying about the acoustic conditions, the stock AI sensors may not detect a kilo imp at all. :huh:

That is precisely the contingency that divvying up areas is intended to avoid.

You may find running your missions in test with the dbgviewer active to report detections good way to find out what's going on.

I can do that by running it from the command line?

LuftWolf
02-07-07, 08:28 AM
Put this at the end of the run command "-debugoutput" and be sure to have the dbgviewer running. It's a separate program you can download as freeware.

Most useful for modding and bug testing.

Cheers,
David

SeaQueen
02-07-07, 08:31 PM
Put this at the end of the run command "-debugoutput" and be sure to have the dbgviewer running. It's a separate program you can download as freeware.

Downloadable from where?

XabbaRus
02-08-07, 04:18 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Miscellaneous/DebugView.mspx

XabbaRus
02-08-07, 04:39 AM
Also would if you want them to patrol a set area use a box tactic and make a small distance between them.

Or use area waypoints. Or have you tried that and they still wander?

SeaQueen
02-08-07, 07:43 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Miscellaneous/DebugView.mspx

Ah... another fine microsoft product. You know... the romantic part of me is still living in the Unix land of my old university physics department. :cry:

SeaQueen
02-08-07, 07:46 AM
Also would if you want them to patrol a set area use a box tactic and make a small distance between them.

Or use area waypoints. Or have you tried that and they still wander?

Actually, yes. Units are fairly curious about contacts they encounter, I've noticed, so they'll search strictly according to the tactic you assign them, but it seems like once they actually make a detection, what follows doesn't seem to take into account the tactic at all. I think that's fair, though. You'd need to give the AI some more IQ points to pull that off.

XabbaRus
02-08-07, 08:09 AM
DeBug view isn't an MS product or it never used to be, was by Mark Russinovich of SysInternals which was it seems bought over so I guess it is an MS product now.

Really good though, you could use it to cheat in MP I suppose.

LuftWolf
02-08-07, 08:13 AM
DeBug view isn't an MS product or it never used to be, was by Mark Russinovich of SysInternals which was it seems bought over so I guess it is an MS product now.

Really good though, you could use it to cheat in MP I suppose.

Disabled in MP.

This is in the DW -debugviewer unofficial documentation.

Cheers,
David