PDA

View Full Version : Das Boot - Slapstick?

Kapitan_Phillips
12-26-06, 06:58 PM
Has anyone else noticed the haphazard seaman falling over something near the back of the boat as its pulling out of the pen? Look for it, its hilarious :lol:

Enigma
12-26-06, 07:40 PM
Gonna pop it in and see if I can see what you mean....

gdogghenrikson
12-27-06, 12:23 AM
Has anyone else noticed the haphazard seaman falling over something near the back of the boat as its pulling out of the pen? Look for it, its hilarious :lol:

in what version are you talking about

Kapitan_Phillips
12-27-06, 07:37 AM
The uncut version of course! No halfway measures for this skipper :up:

Seeadler
12-27-06, 08:22 AM
He is falling because someone else opens the hatch from inside, after he is fallen, you can see like somebody else creeps out of this hatch:D

A few weeks ago I saw on TV an interview with Jan Fedder (actor of Pilgrim), he told that during the work many actors broke their arms and legs and that some other actors would be near drowned during a scene on the open sea

Enigma
12-27-06, 09:54 AM
Hmm. I thought very little was shot at sea. Minature and external u-boat scenes....

bigboywooly
01-18-07, 03:47 PM
Two full-size mock-ups of a Type VIIC boat were built, one for use in outdoor scenes, and one for the interior scenes. The mock-ups were built according to U-boat plans found in Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry. The appearance of interior and exterior was duplicated as closely as possible; however, the controls were non-functioning. The outdoor mock-up was propelled with a small engine. Additionally, a mock-up of a conning tower was placed in a water tank in the studio to simulate outdoor scenes not requiring a full view of the boat's exterior. The interior mock-up was mounted 16 feet off the floor and was shaken, rocked, and tilted up to 45 degrees by means of a hydraulic apparatus.

http://uboat.net/special/movies/item/238

Sailor Steve
01-18-07, 04:22 PM
Most of the full-boat scenes at sea used a model. You can tell the scale is all wrong from the way the water doesn't foam like it does on a full-sized ship.

Enigma
01-18-07, 04:28 PM
I saw the guy falling last week.....Looks like it bloody hurt!

My favorite of the at sea shots with the model is when you can see the little figurines of the crew on the bridge....
:rotfl:

flintlock
02-07-07, 01:07 AM
You lot are either extremely observant, or you have seen this incredible film too many times to count. ;)

Kapitan_Phillips
02-08-07, 04:44 AM
Guilty of both. I'm a rabid adventure gamer too, possessing every CSI game, every Broken Sword and a few Law and Order games.

And Das Boot is certainly worth watching again and again :rock:

flintlock
02-08-07, 04:50 PM
Das Boot is certainly worth watching again and again :rock:
I have to agree with that. Heck, I have it on three DVDs -- the original uncut version, Director's Cut and the Superbit edition. Never noticed the seaman stumbling though.

Rykaird
02-14-07, 03:09 PM
Das Boot is certainly worth watching again and again :rock:
I have to agree with that. Heck, I have it on three DVDs -- the original uncut version, Director's Cut and the Superbit edition. Never noticed the seaman stumbling though.

How is the Superbit edition? I have the uncut version, and although I like all the extra content, I'm pretty disappointed with the print quality. Which of three versions has the best visual quality?

flintlock
02-14-07, 04:05 PM
The Superbit edition is the director's cut, and between the regular director's cut and the Uncut version, the Superbit is the best quality. Of all editions, I agree that the Uncut is the worst quality video wise, but remains my favorite simply because of the extra content.

I brought up in another thread that I would love nothing more than Criterion to get a hold of the full length Uncut edition of Das Boot and give it their "Criterion Treatment." That would be the ultimate Das Boot edition, and one which I'd buy in a heartbeat.

Sailor Steve
02-14-07, 06:09 PM
Of all editions, I agree that the Uncut is the worst quality video wise...
I disagree, but only because I have a VHS copy of the original theatrical version.
:rotfl:

flintlock
02-14-07, 10:17 PM
Hehe, I should've qualified my statement. :)