PDA

View Full Version : Garage Sale Score!

nedwreck
11-25-06, 07:32 PM
Went junkin' today at the various yard, carport and garage sales in the area. Wasn't having much luck finding anything that tripped my trigger. Then I went to one in the north end of Jackson. Wow. I scored a real neat art glass something. I say something because I don't know what it is. Free form art, maybe? But I also scored two ship models. A Lindberg pirate ship, "The Captain Kidd" and partially assembled Revell 1/72 scale VII C. I got both for $30.00. Whoever was working on this kit had just about finished the sail/conning tower (whichever you call it). It looks to be all there, as far as I can tell. The pirate ship was opened but seemingly unmolested by the previous owner. Time will tell.

AG124
11-25-06, 07:55 PM
Good finds nedwreck.:sunny: Even on eBay, you might not get that kind of deal. Sometimes you can though.:hmm:

I saw an unopened model of the Titanic at a yard sale for $10 CDN this summer - maybe I should have bought it.:-? But I am usually more interested in WWII-era shipping anyway.

At my local library, I have often found many good deals on WWII books (mostly paperbacks):

The Destroyer Killer (Edwin P. Hoyt) - 10 cents
Bowfin (Edwin P. Hoyt) - 10 cents
The Carrier War (Edwin P. Hoyt) - 10 cents
McCambell's Heroes (Edwin P. Hoyt) - 10 cents
The Big E (Edward P. Stafford) - 10 cents
Japan's War (John Toland) - 10 cents
Midway: The Battle That Doomed Japan - 10 cents

Plus about 50-60 others on different topics. And some hardcover ones for 50 cents each, such as an original 1942 edition of William Shirer's (US ambassador to Germany) memoirs and a 1948 edition of Henry Stimson's (Secretary of State and Defense at various points in time) memoirs.

Linton
12-02-06, 07:32 PM
For those of you who live in the south east of the UK I go to an annual military book fair in Tunbridge Wells.On my last visit I got 8!! books for £42!There is also a book company in cornwall called maritime books.They have a weekly bargain book to internet customers.I got Crash Dive for £3.99 plus p+p ,they also ship internationally and produce a bi-monthly magazine called Warhip world.They are just about to publish a guide called US Navy warships and auxillaries-full colour £9.99!!

Ishmael
12-04-06, 04:12 AM
I picked up a Vickers/Polaris sub ashtray at a thrift store in Pasadena. Also found ashtrays from the American Presidents Line and Pacific Far East Lines as well.

nedwreck
12-11-06, 09:21 PM
I think I got an idea why this model was being sold off: the small parts, railings, handles and such are a major PITA to get off the sprue. Great big humongous sprues for even the tiniest part. Plus, for some reason, someone at Revell decided it would be A Good Idea to make all the sprues interlock so it's kinda hard to get one to lay perfectly flat to cut parts from it. There's no mistaking this thing for a Tamiya kit, no Sir. Once the part is carefully removed, you get to spend another 5 minutes cleaning the rest of the sprue from it. I'm going slow, taking my time. The AA gun took me 2 hours.

"But it was CHEAP!" I keep telling myself. Ehh, I'll finish it right. It'll be the biggest bathtub toy I ever had. =)

Bob