PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a certain paperback - forget the title

AG124
11-13-06, 02:44 PM
A long time ago, I read an older paperback novel on mysterious shipwrecks. It was from the 1970s-1980s, and I cannot remember the title (although I think it was something like "Lost at Sea" - it might also have contained the words "Vanished" or "Without a Trace"). On the cover, there was a coloured picture (but not a photo) of a large and rusting ocean liner drifting in a dark fog, seemingly abandoned (I believe the ship had three or four funnels, and was probably fictional - it was certainly not in the book itself). It was not specifically about the Bermuda Triangle, and I only remember two chapters - one on the SS Waratah and another on the USS Cyclops (and her vanished sisters Nereus and Proteus).

If anyone knows what book this is, and can give me the correct title and author, I would be very grateful. Thank you.

KevinB
11-14-06, 06:54 AM
There was a book titled The Bermuda Triangle by Charles Berlitz but you said it wasn't about the Bermuda Triangle. The other one that comes to mind is "The Devil's Triangle" about an area off the coast of Japan which had a lot of ships go missing. But again I don't know the author. Type in the title in Amazon.

Actually I've just tried Amazon and the books listed there don't give any description.
Interestingly there is one title U 237 in the Devil's Triangle. Wonder what that's about?

Captain Nemo
11-14-06, 07:28 AM
Is it Lost at Sea by A A Hoehling? See http://shop.wnd.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=446

Nemo

Grayback
11-14-06, 03:03 PM
There was a book titled The Bermuda Triangle by Charles Berlitz but you said it wasn't about the Bermuda Triangle.

Given Berlitz's work on The Philadelphia Experiment, I wouldn't be surprised if his book on the Triangle went off the subject - keep going, no matter the relevance, lest the reader begin to question even one of the author's sensationalistic and unsupported theories.

bookworm_020
11-14-06, 05:59 PM
The SS Waratah sank off the South African Coast in 1909.

I think I found your book

http://classicdivebooks.customer.netspace.net.au/lost-at-sea-aah.jpg LOST AT SEA
The truth behind eight of history's most mysteriou ship disasters.
A.A.Hoeling.
Originally published by Stackpole Books, Pennsylvania, 1984.
Rutedge Hill Press, Nashville, Tennessee, USA, 1999. (Image) [ps]
Softcover, mono images, 223 pages, no index.
Covers: Mary Celeste, S.S.Waratah, RMS Lusitania, HMS Hampshire, Cyclops, liner Morro Castle, SSN Scopion, SS Poet.

The picture is a sketch of the Lusitania going down, I read the book may years ago.

Hope this helps:up:

AG124
11-14-06, 09:10 PM
@ bookworm_020 & Captain Nemo

No, that is not the book I read, unless that is a different cover. (I have also seen that Lusitania drawing many times before, mainly in books, but also in one of the Naked Gun movies with Leslie Neilson on his character's bedroom wall for some reason). The ship on the cover of the book I was talking about wasn't sinking, and appeared abandoned and rusty. Thanks anyway.

EDIT - After searching on Amazon, and reading some of the reviews, I am beginning to think that this is it after all. Except the version I read was an older edition (this is a lot newer- 1999) and had the better-looking cover which I described.:hmm:

@ KevinB

I am familiar with Berlitz, and actually own a copy of that book.

I also own the Devil's Triangle (by Richard Winer), but it is actually about the Bermuda Triangle and not the area off of Japan - the author believes that the term Devil's Triangle is more appropriate because of the geographical loaction of the area in question (not actually connected to Bermuda, I think).

Thanks anyway, but since these two books are sitting right there on my shelf, they are certainly not the lost one I am searching for.

@ Grayback

That's just about par with his works on the Bermuda Triangle - in addition to reporting inaccurate myths and complete lies (the British freighter SS Cyclops didn't mysteriously disappear in 1941 like the USS Cyclops - she was torpedoed by U-123 but Berlitz seems to think otherwise:roll:) he wanders off talking about Atlantis and UFO's - supposedly, this is to explain the disappearances, but he seems to go a little too far off track at times. Not a good book.

Captain Nemo
11-15-06, 07:26 AM
EDIT - After searching on Amazon, and reading some of the reviews, I am beginning to think that this is it after all. Except the version I read was an older edition (this is a lot newer- 1999) and had the better-looking cover which I described.

Apparently it was first published in 1984/85 which fits with when you first read it.

Nemo

KevinB
11-15-06, 09:00 AM
That's just about par with his works on the Bermuda Triangle - in addition to reporting inaccurate myths and complete lies (the British freighter SS Cyclops didn't mysteriously disappear in 1941 like the USS Cyclops - she was torpedoed by U-123 but Berlitz seems to think otherwise:roll:) he wanders off talking about Atlantis and UFO's - supposedly, this is to explain the disappearances, but he seems to go a little too far off track at times. Not a good book.

I agree. I think Berlitz should have stuck to teaching languages rather than dipping his toes into the occult.